YOU CALL THIS NEW.......?!


There are those who say a good relationship is based on trust. Then there are those who say it is based on something much less tangible.  And they call that something names such as ‘love’, ‘spiritual connection’, ‘kindred spirits’ or maybe ‘chemistry’.  I think my relationship (and whether it is considered a good one depends on your point of view) must be based on sweat equity.

That bears explaining.  Over the years (and we’ve been together long enough to start looking forward to grandchildren) we’ve owned several houses.  Each one located in a different city, and different state as well.  They were all different styles of homes, different sizes, different kinds of neighborhoods, different colors and sold to us by different people.  They all had two things in common.  First, they all needed a great deal of work in order to be livable, and they were all purchased by my partner without my ever having seen them.  I know what you are thinking, but I trust my beloved - and I pray a lot.  I do have to admit that I absolutely loathed every single one of those houses - right up until I thought about having to sell them to move.  Then I realized just exactly what dream houses they were.  Of course, in comparison to what we were moving into they probably were.

To be fair, my darling surely meant well.  He is a real ‘hands on’ kind of guy.  Early in our courtship and bonding he was a contractor.  He built beautiful custom homes with his own hands (well, his and his crew’s).  And he loved it.  He has spent most of his career, however behind a desk, also doing something he loves, but, he misses the physical labor and process of building ‘something’ from ‘nothing’.  And, it wasn’t his fault that he ended up purchasing our homes alone.  Each of our moves was across several states (at least) and our budget couldn’t stretch to cover both of us making the house-buying trip.  So, my love would carefully search for the ideal place.  Sailing right past the new model homes, the decorator specials, the cozy cottages and the neat-as-a-pin dwellings he would zero in on the handyman heavens, the “needs a little TLCs” and the “has a lot of potentials”, until he found “IT”.  Our new home.

The thing that saved our pair-bond through each of these highly stressful and potentially damaging events had to be our work ethic. Picture the scene as I would be introduced to our new living quarters to be: Love-O-Mine would saunter around the crumbling and cracking exteriors of these eyesores, dragging me along, and point out things like “the sound construction” and “solid foundation” explaining that some caulk and some paint and “she’ll be a real showplace!”  And I must admit HE sure looked handsome as he glowingly outlined his plans for a grand new landscaping scheme and darling white picket fences or river rock retaining walls or stylish low brick enclosures even though the house still looked like one of those places they are removing children from on the six-o’clock news.  And I found it easy to get caught up in his enthusiasm.  Good sense usually prevailed as we would reenter the debris strewn and dirt-encrusted house proper. 

 I would shake my head and delicately express my doubt as to the rehabilitation prospects for the hideous decor, with comments like “Who in their RIGHT MIND would put orange carpet on the WALLS?!”   He knew just what to say.  “You’re probably right,” he’d agree.  “Even a genius decorator couldn’t do anything for this place.”   “Well, I don’t know about that.”  I’d say.  And then I’d be off, rising to the challenge, making plans and coming up with color schemes and offering advice on how to get things as clean and bright as new.

Next thing I knew it was too late - we were up to our armpits in remodeling and wallpapering and painting.  The kids were excitedly planning their bedrooms, I was scouring antique malls and flea markets for deals and we were all making an investment of time and effort and heart in the old homestead.  And somewhere between signing on the dotted line, underneath the drywall dust, the bits of leftover wallpaper, paint encrusted brushes, and sweat and sacrifice - I kind of grew to love the place.

By the way, we just moved again.  Boy is this place UGLY! 

Comments